Pictures

Friday, June 05, 2009

"Chappin'" on Doors

One of the new words I have learned here is the word “chapping”. The word is Scottish and means “knocking”. For the past two nights, the team has been “chapping” on doors and handing out flyers inviting the different communities to meetings at the community centres. Some of us have had some interesting experiences while going door-to-door. One such experience occurred tonight. One lady I talked to invited me inside her house. Although she was in a bad mood, I was able to talk to her sister who seemed to appreciate the short visit. The experiences here will hopefully be helpful when I get back home. They were a little odd, but I think the experience was good. I was practicing patience the whole time.


Today, the team did a lot of practical work around the church - painting, cleaning, and organizing. It was nice to be able to do some manual labor. We have been helping the Quigleys with their yard work the past couple nights. This included weeding and moving large stones to reinforce the wall that had fallen down. While we have been working, we have had the opportunity to get to know some of the Quigley children.


The weather has been very nice the past several days. It has made it more enjoyable to work outside in the yard and “chap” on doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment