Pictures

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Leaving on a Jet Plane...

It feels like we just arrived in Airdrie, and yet Saturday morning Joe and I fly out already. It feels like we've done so much, and yet there's so much that we want to do still. God allowed us this short time in Airdrie to truly grow Joe and I in our walks with Christ. For me personally, it has burdened my heart greatly on many things:

Missions
I've always had a desire for missions, ever since I became a Christian. I took Christ's commission in Matthew 28 to literally go. I've come to realize that He meant the commission to be fulfilled no matter where we are (more of a "as you go about your day"). Yet, I've wanted to go. Andrew's preaching, our bible studies, our readings in "Spiritual Disciplines", and Joe and I's conversations are all leading to this feeling of getting out of our comfort zone and going. So as we pray, I hope you will pray to that God will give us wisdom on matters for the future.

Reading His Word
I had recently began working my way through the book of Isaiah (beginning in February). Our readings from "Spiritual Disciplines" has really helped me in my walk with God as I study Isaiah. From paraphrasing to praying through the passage and meditating on the word to really pulling out applications, I feel like I was sprinting through Isaiah before, but now I am taking time to meander through the roses and seeing colors and patterns.
God truly works through His word to reveal Himself and His will. The encouragement of the team and from reading this book has greatly helped my scripture reading, and really lays upon my heart its importance in my daily life.

Applying the Sermon to Life
Often I jot down what my pastor is saying, and delight in the truth that comes from God's word. Yet, I never applied it to my relationship with Christ, and to how my life should conform to God's word. I mainly went about thinking "O, that was nice!" and then let it die in my notebook. Here there is no way of being able to do that. God burdens my heart with convictions and truly lays the path before me that I must take. Often I think of the moment in the beginning of "Pilgrim's Progress", when Christian (fearing being lead astray again) literally RUNS towards the gate, in essence towards God. That is often what I feel my heart is now doing after a sermon. Correcting itself and in essence sprinting towards God that He may shepherd me.

The Airdrie Congregation
Along with all these things, God has placed an incredible desire in my heart to know this congregation more. They are doing so much to bring people in, and so many have such amazing testimonies that I can't help but be amazed that by God's sovereignty and planning in their lives. And yet, because Joe and I were only here for 2 Sabbaths and really only got to know a few really well, I can't help but wish we got to spend more time with them. But my heart is comforted in knowing that my brothers and sisters in Christ here in Scotland will be united with me one day, and until then, despite not knowing each other's struggles, we can still pray for one another and trust that God is taking care of His sheep.

The Team
I'll miss a lot about Airdrie, especially the team. There are no words to describe the wonderful sense of unity God has given us over the past 3 weeks, and the love that we have for one another. I will truly miss my brothers and sisters, but again, I am confident in knowing that God will take care of His sheep, no matter how spread apart they are. I loved getting to know all the new faces (Jackie, Heather, Joel, Brett, Stephen, and Ben) and getting to truly commune with them, getting to know Amelia better (such a blessing!), and continuing to learn the heart of my husband, Joe. I pray, as I hope you will to, that when we go home the conversations and fellowship won't abruptly stop but instead be an ongoing encouragement to all of us, no matter where we are.

As I said, I can't believe its been 3 weeks already. It truly pains me to leave- I was just realizing I was in Scotland! And while I feel like there's so much work yet to do, I know that God is laying it on my heart to continue this work for His kingdom at home. It's been an amazing 3 weeks, and I wish I had a better adjective than amazing to truly describe its incredible impact on my life. But I pray that God will lead me back here some day (either to visit or to work), and if not, that He would place a desire in my heart to work as hard as I have here for His kingdom. Praise be to God!

-Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment